Find the perfect things to do in Houston this weekend with our Houston Weekend Guide for Friday, December 14 to Sunday, December 16, 2018.
Watch TUTS perform Disney’s famous tale as old as time; grab a craft beer and meet Mr. and Mrs. Claus; dress up as your favorite character from Game of Thrones for a downtown pub crawl; add a Tex-Mex spin to your Christmas celebrations; enjoy the magic of Harry Potter at a gut-busting production; get crafty at a BYOB meet-up and more.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Friday, December 14 to Sunday, December 16, 2018.
Things to Do All Weekend
· Christmas Events Around Houston | Daily – Get in the Christmas spirit with our list of the Top 25 parties, festivals, concerts, markets and other festive events happening in and around Houston. Times vary.
· Potted Potter: The Unauthorized Harry Potter Experience at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Daily – The magic of Harry Potter comes to life in this comedic performance that runs through all seven books in just 70 minutes at Downtown’s Hobby Center. Tickets start at $49.99. Showtimes vary.
· Disney’s Beauty and the Beast at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Daily – See a live version of the Disney classic, Beauty and the Beast, when TUTS presents a new production of the timeless tale at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets start at $43.50. Showtimes vary.
· Alley Theatre presents A Christmas Carol: A Ghost Story of Christmas | Daily –Catch a performance of the classic, seasonal tale of Ebenezer Scrooge, who’s famously visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future in Alley Theatre’s annual production of A Christmas Carol. Tickets start at $37. Showtimes vary.
· The Ultimate Christmas Show (Abridged) at Stages Repertory Theatre | Thursday to Saturday – Follow along as three quick-witted church members are forced to perform an impromptu Christmas pageant after none of their scheduled acts arrive. Tickets start at $25. 7pm daily.
· Panto Star Force at Stages Repertory Theatre | Thursday to Saturday – Crack up at this hilarious spoof of the original Star Wars trilogy, which follows Jed, a farm boy from the planet Cypress, who joins forces with a zany band of space rebels to take on the powerful Emperor Snorkelfish and Dark Tater. Tickets start at $25. 7pm daily.
· Pride and Prejudice at Studio 101 | Thursday, Friday, and Sunday – Watch the literary classic, Pride and Prejudice, come to life in Kate Hamill’s adaptation of the famous play that follows the love story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Tickets start at $17. Showtimes vary.
· Comedian Chris Distefano at Houston Improv | Thursday to Saturday – Laugh it up at a comedy show by actor and stand-up comedian Chris Distefano, who will perform five shows at Houston Improv. Distefano has appeared on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Late Show with David Letterman, and Comedy Central’s The Half Hour. Tickets start at $20. Showtimes vary.
· The French Farm’s Annual Holiday Open Warehouse Sale | Friday and Saturday | No Cover – Stock your kitchen for all of your holiday season get-togethers at The French Farm’s Spring Open Warehouse Sale. You’ll find discounted prices on everything from jams, mustards, and oils to cutlery and serving ware. 10am to 3pm both days.
· Love & Makes Candle-Making Workshop in Rice Village | Friday to Sunday – Design and create a personalized wax candle with help from the team at Love & Makes in Rice Village. The BYOB workshop also features handmade goods from local artisans to shop while your candles set. $45. Times vary.
· Death by Natural Causes at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday to Sunday – Discover a range of deadly “animal, vegetable, and mineral” specimens from the natural world at this educational exhibit in the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Full price tickets are $30 for ages 12 and up; $20 for ages 3 to 11; $20 for ages 62 and up. Discounted $17 tickets are available for most dates. 9am to 5pm daily.
Friday, December 14, 2018
· Children’s Campfire Christmas at George Ranch Historical Park – Take part in fun Christmas crafts, hop on a hayride through the park, and sing Christmas carols while huddled around the campfire during this festive evening at George Ranch Historical Park. A light dinner is included. Tickets are $35 for adults; $25 for kids; $10 for children 3 and under. 6pm to 8pm.
· Cocktails in the Ballroom at El Dorado Ballroom – Warm up with spiked hot chocolate and sweet treats while listening to atmospheric music at Project Row Houses’ annual event at El Dorado Ballroom. Located in Third Ward, PRH aims to enrich lives through art and create opportunities in marginalized communities. $50; admission is free for current members. 6:30pm.
· 6lack’s From East Atlanta with Love Tour at Revention Music Center – Jam out to songs like “Prblms,” “Free,” and “Cutting Ties” when 6LACK (pronounced Black) brings his melodic raps to Houston from Atlanta, Georgia. Tickets start at $30. 7pm.
· Jason Mraz with Toca Rivera in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Singer-songwriter Jason Mraz joins his longtime pal, percussionist Toca Rivera, for the Live in Stereo Tour, which showcases an acoustic performance by the talented duo. Tickets start at $34.50. 8pm.
· Saxophonist Chris Mitchell’s White Christmas Concert at Hyatt Regency Houston – Sit back and take in the soothing sounds of the saxophone when musician Chris Mitchell plays a selection of songs from his upcoming holiday release, White Christmas, at the Hyatt Regency. Tickets are $30. 8pm.
Saturday, December 15, 2018
· Running of the Bulls 5K at NRG Park – Race through NRG Park alongside the Texans’ Toro, cheerleaders, the Deep Steel Thunder band, and more in the eighth annual Running of the Bulls 5K, presented by HEB. The day will include a Kids 1K for children 12 and under, and both a competitive and non-competitive 5K for adults. The competitive 5K costs $40, while the non-competitive 5K is $35, and the Kids 1K costs $30. 7:30am.
· Santa Train at the Galveston Railroad Museum – Snap photos with Santa and take a ride on the Harborside Express during a family-friendly afternoon at the Galveston Railroad Museum. $12. 10am to 2pm.
· Love & Make’s Bath Bomb Making Workshop in Rice Village – Create your own luxurious, scented bath bomb at this DIY workshop, hosted by Love & Make in Rice Village. The family-friendly activity allows crafters to incorporate essential oils and experiment with fun colors. $45. 11am.
· Heights Mercantile Holiday Market | No Cover – Shop unique gifts from trendy boutiques and pop-ups on the promenade in the area’s hottest new mixed-use development, Heights Mercantile. 11am to 6pm.
· Holly Jolly Christmas Food Truck Festival at Town Green Park – Chow down on tasty food truck bites while you pose for photos with Santa, enjoy live music, and shop from local vendors at the Holly Jolly Christmas Food Truck Festival in Town Green Park.$5. 11am to 7pm.
· Connect with Art Saturday at the Silos at Sawyer Yards | FREE – Tour the workspaces of local artists and shop their work when the Houston Art Collective opens its studios to the public for Connect with Art Saturday at Sawyer Yards. Noon to 5pm.
· Rice University Owls vs. UC Santa Barbara Gauchos at Tudor Fieldhouse – Take your seat to watch the Owls when they play the Gauchos on their home court. Tickets start at $12. 2pm.
· Paws with Claus at Nettbar Houston – Bring your four-legged friends to a holiday fundraiser benefiting the Houston BARC Foundation and BARC Animal Shelter at Nettbar Houston. You can take pictures with Santa Claus, win raffle prizes, and leave with a goody bag. Donation of $10 for adults and $5 for children. Admission is free with the donation of a requested item. 2pm to 4pm.
· Game of Thrones Pub Crawl in Downtown – Bring honor to your house by dressing up in Westeros-worthy garb and trekking Downtown for a Game of Thrones pub crawl. Expect GoT-themed drinks, drink specials, prizes for the best costumes, and a raffle. Tickets start at $17.89. 3pm to 9pm.
· Skate with Santa at Discovery Green – Lace up your skates and prepare your Christmas wish list to ice skate alongside Old Saint Nick at Discovery Green. Tickets are $11. Skate rentals cost $4. 5pm to 6pm.
· Holiday Music with First Colony Church of Christ at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Rock around the Christmas tree when the band from First Colony Church of Christ performs its blend of contemporary classic Christmas tunes at Sugar Land Town Square. You’ll hear both modern and a cappella versions of all your favorite carols throughout the evening. 5pm to 7pm.
· Christmas Party with Santa & Mrs. Claus at Southern Star Brewing Company | FREE – Don your tacky Christmas sweater to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus at Southern Star Brewing’s family-friendly Christmas extravaganza. Featuring holiday tunes by The Home Brewed Brass Ensemble, the party will also offer plenty of grub from Russo’s Pizza and La Grange Bar B Que & Grill. 6pm to 10pm.
· The Dollop Podcast at The Ballroom at Warehouse Live – Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds bring a live version of their hilarious and educational podcast, The Dollop, to Houston’s Warehouse Live this Saturday night. Focused on American history, each episode of the podcast pulls a specific event or person to discuss for its humorous or peculiar qualities. Tickets start at $29.50. 7pm.
· KiKi Maroon’s Ho Ho Ho-liday Burlesque Show – Join KiKi Maroon and The Burly Qutie Showgirls for The Ho Ho Ho-liday Show, a Christmas-themed burlesque production, complete with reindeer showgirls, naughty elves, sexy show queens, and even a Nutcracker or two. $25. 7pm.
· Sleep in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Jam out to heavy metal when the influential band from the early ‘90s, Sleep, returns to the stage in support of its fourth album, The Sciences. Tickets are $25. 8pm.
· Kshmr in Concert at Stereo Live – Hit the dance floor at a live show by EDM giant Kshmr when he brings his magnetic electro house mixes to Stereo Live. Tickets start at $29. 10pm.
Sunday, December 16, 2018
· 31st Annual Fort Bend Kia 30K at Sugar Land Town Square – Take your mark and get set for the thirty-first annual Fort Bend Kia 30K, which takes runners through the certified, triple-loop Sweetwater Country Club course in Sugar Land. Costumes are encouraged, and runners can sip a complimentary draft beer from Jupiter on the plaza following the race. Tickets are $85 for adults; $42.50 for youths. 6:30am.
· Santa Hustle 5k & Half Marathon in Galveston – Race a 5K or half marathon through Galveston while dressed up as old St. Nick—no need to purchase a costume; you’ll get a beard, hat, and performance hoodie with registration, and can upgrade to receive candy cane socks, a red tutu, arm warmers and face tattoos for an additional fee. You can enjoy cookies, candy canes, and holiday tunes all along the way, then stick around for an after-party. Tickets start at $49.75. 7am.
· Brunch Screening: The Holiday Movie Screening at Alamo Drafthouse – Kick back with mimosas and tasty brunch treats while watching the heartwarming seasonal rom-com, The Holiday, starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jack Black, and Jude Law. $27. 11am.
· A Christmas Story Art Market & Movie Screening at Karbach Brewing Co | FREE– Warn Ralphie that he’ll shoot his eye out at a free screening of The Christmas Story, complemented by a holiday art market featuring local vendors and a gift-wrapping station at Karbach Brewing Co. Tacky Christmas sweaters encouraged. Noon to 5pm.
· The Roadshow Christmas Tour at Smart Financial Centre – Compassion Live presents The Roadshow Christmas Tour, featuring contemporary Christian musicians Matthew West, Matt Maher, Building 429, Plumb, Josh Wilson, and Leanna Crawford in a jubilant Christmas concert at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $27.25. 6pm.
· TexMex Christmas Fiesta: Los TexManiacs featuring Flaco Jimenez in Concert at Heights Theatre – Spice up your holidays at this Christmas fiesta in Heights Theatre, featuring Grammy-winners Los TexManiacs with special guest Flaco Jimenez, who has received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. The band will perform their beloved hits, as well as a slew of holiday favorites. Tickets start at $28. 8pm.