Weekend Travel Ideas in Houston
- Discover Houston’s underground Tunnel System with a local guide
- Explore the newest and oldest tunnel sections that are open to the public
- Learn about the history of Houston through its architecture and art
- See beautiful art deco treasures and sculptures by world-famous artists and learn how Houston’s 7 miles of pedestrian tunnels came to be
Overview Walking through the streets of Houston is pretty special but did you know that there is a whole underground system of tunnels below the city? This Houston tour will take you through the city, over and underground, until you get to know the city from every angle. What to Expect
You’ll meet your local guide and begin your Houston tour with a walk down Main Street towards the Chase Bank Building, which features eight frescoes depicting Texas history. With your local guide to explain these pieces, you’ll gain a greater understanding of the history of the city and state alike. From here, we’ll enter the Downtown Houston Tunnel System and walk over to Chase Tower, the tallest building in Texas. Your guide will lead you outside for a photo op in front of Joan Miro’s 1982 Personage and Birds.
Next on this historical Houston tour, you’ll cross the street and enter Philip Johnson’s award-winning Pennzoil Place. You’ll ride an escalator down to the tunnel where you’ll get a sweet treat at a unique boutique bakery with some of the best cookies in Houston.
Finish your Houston tour by walking through downtown’s oldest and newest tunnels, and see the only remaining portion of a 1913 hotel known as “The Cotton” before returning to Café Express with your guide. Departure Point -Cafe Express Departure Time – 9:30am Duration – 2h Return Details – Returns to original departure point –
- Local English-speaking guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Comfortable walking shoes and clothing is recommended
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and clothing. While the weather outside from May-November can be hot and humid, the Tunnel System is air-conditioned. While the weather from December-February can be cold, the Tunnel System is heated. Please check the local weather forecast and dress appropriately in case of rain and/or high winds.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
- Downtown parking: Do not park in a parking meter for this tour. The meters are good for only two hours, and violation tickets are quite expensive. Please park in an indoor garage or on an outside lot. For more information about parking downtown, go to www.DowntownHouston.org.
Cancellation Policy For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Source: TripAdvisor.com